The Importance of Outreach: Why it Should be in Your SEO Campaign
Recently, we have been talking about the importance of outreach a lot with our clients. However, for those with little to none SEO knowledge, many have questioned what it is, how it works and why it should be included in their campaign. Of course, it will cost money to implement (if not included in a pre-paid package) but the ROI, with the right strategy, is worth the investment.
Outreach is simply one part of your SEO campaign to raise your website’s visibility, but, as we have been saying to our clients, it is perhaps one of the most vital strategies in improving your rankings in Google. Those who fail to implement outreach into their SEO strategy, and build a healthy back-link profile, can expect to sit at the bottom of the pecking order.
So, What Exactly are Backlinks?
Backlinks are essentially recommendations in the form of hyperlinks from one site (Site A) to another (Site B). Links from external sites into your site tell Google that they support and value you and the page it links to. This results in Site A providing Site B with a helpful boost in reputation, which over time, with the more links added into the back-linking profile, increases the overall domain authority of your website in the eyes of Google. That’s what back-links are in a nutshell… not as scary and technical as they sound!
What is Domain Authority?
Domain authority is an overall score given to a website after an analysis of the root domains and links that direct to the site. Outreach efforts aim to increase this ranking.
This is because Google works in a hierarchical structure, and those with higher authority levels will ultimately be recommended first in relevant Google searches.
Sourcing Backlinks: It’s All About Relationships
Therefore, when sourcing external sites to work with, emphasis should be placed on sites with higher domain authorities as these will credit you with the much-needed brownie points with Google. The more links you achieve from sites with healthy domain authority rankings, the more reputable your website is according to Google. In the same respect, it may take a while to achieve a good ranking if you are continually targeting low to average authority sites to link through to your profile. In order to be successful in outreach, it’s all about reaching above your own ranking and securing the best option for your budget.
But how do you reach out to people? Engage with their content, both on their website and social media. Send them personalised emails. Pick up the phone. Include yourself as a valuable part of their social network.
Link Formats: What’s the Best Fit?
Consider how and where you want your link to be placed on the external site. Assess the site and its media kit, what generates the most interest from their audiences. What does this external site need? Is there something unique you can offer them?
Just remember that you can secure backlinks in a number of methods, some of which are listed below, each with their own advantages:
- Guest posts- this allows you to show your expertise in the industry to a relevant audience, encouraging engagement and brand awareness as well as passing on authority to your website.
- Fixing broken links on external sites- again, this allows you to reach your target audience by being included in content on a relevant external site. This is method is particularly useful if the page has a high authority and engagement from audiences, as you will get traffic and high authority from being included as a recommended source of products, services or information.
- Directory listing- categorised into the appropriate sector, those looking for specific products or services can easily find you, as well as passing on authority to your website.
- Quotes and Interviews- you are an expert in your field; your thoughts and ideas on the industry are invaluable to online publications and bloggers, so reach out to them and offer to provide them with an interview or quote that they can publish on their site.
- Resource Lists- many websites are now offering resource lists to provide their users with more information and limit their search time. Identify opportunities such as these and ask to be included as a valuable resource.
- Infographics – Presenting interesting data in beautiful ways can be attractive to journalists who are looking for stories to write and publish. Offer this content to journalists and representatives for free. Not only will you get a link-back to your site, but you will also open up a mutually-beneficial relationship that you can come back to time and time again.
- Awards- As a market leader in your industry, list those bloggers or online publications that excel in content and recognise them on your website. Create a badge, which links back to you, that they can include on their own website. Flattery is always one of the best ways to get what you want, but this will also create a good foundation for a long-lasting relationship that you can capitalise on in the future.
Here at Ducard, we have built an outreach department dedicated to building up relationships with influencers across a wide range of industries. Our specialists are expert in identifying the best outreach opportunities for our clients and bear witness to their website authority continually increasing. If you would like to discuss more about your SEO campaign, and how outreach could work for you, get in touch with us today. We’d be more than happy to talk through the possibilities for your organisation.